Get Your Name Under Control
Updated Feb 28, 2022
Now that is an odd statement! Let me explain what I mean. As a small business owner, people must trust me online – if I ever plan to sell online. People buy from people they trust ~ any “negative press” can kill the deal ~ even if the press is not actually about you, but about someone else with your name! When researching online, it is hard to tell if you are reading something about the right person. Have you ever studied someone and read something wrong about that person to find out that it was the wrong person ~ with the same name? Something like that can kill the sale if someone is searching YOU!
Let me share what I have done to dominate the search engines for my name ~ feel free to use these tactics to help with your name.
- Get a Facebook account and have your profile URL be your name ~ mine is facebook.com/dotty.scott
- Make a video and get a YouTube account in your name. These can be educational videos, video testimonials, or something entertaining. YouTube ranks well in Google (Google owns it)
- Be a guest blogger for someone else’s blog, and sign your name that links to your blog/website.
- Create a LinkedIn profile and fill it out completely.
- Fill out your Google Business Profile entirely to be displayed on Google when someone searches for your name.
- If you provide training, seminars, or any online event, post it online at several different sites.
- Set up profiles at social media sites.
- Put your videos out on other video video-sharing sites like Vimeo and Howcast.
- Create testimonials for other people with websites and link your name to your website.
- Make sure your name is on your website as text, not in an image.
- Post articles at article repositories like amazines.com, ezine.com, and others.
- Twitter reTweets with your name will be ranked in the search engines.
- Get a written interview posted online – this can be a transcript of the audio.
- Your videos and other content can be picked up by other blogs – very common for video interviews.
- Forum posts can get ranked by search engines.
This is a list of strategies I am using to control my name. I want someone looking for a Web Designer, find my site, research my name, and not find anything negative. I don’t care if it is something talking about a different Dotty. People will think of it like me and go elsewhere for their business ~ something I can’t afford.
Learn more about marketing that works.