Everything You Need to Know About Launching a Work-From-Home Career
From starting your own business to working remotely as a freelancer or employee, there are many different ways to reap the benefits of working from home. With this guide from the experienced web designers at Premium Websites, you’ll learn nearly everything there is to know about choosing the right work-from-home career — and turning your dream of working remotely into a reality.
Start Your Own Business From Home
If you’re business-minded, driven, and interested in becoming an entrepreneur, you could launch a home-based business.
- Choose the best home-based business idea for you.
- Purchase the office equipment you’ll need to work productively from home.
- Create your business plan, choose a legal structure, estimate your expenses, and complete other steps in the business formation process — here is a detailed guide.
- Create a quality business website to start building your online presence.
Work Remotely as an Employee or Freelancer
As an alternative to starting your own small business, you could work remotely for an employer or become a freelancer.
- Determine whether freelancing or full-time employment will be best for you.
- If you’d like to work from home as a freelancer, you can learn how to start your own freelancing business.
- Would you prefer to work full-time as an employee? Look for work-from-home jobs at companies that frequently hire remote workers.
- Stay productive while working from home: Follow a regular schedule, set business hours, and step outside for some fresh air whenever you can.
Utilize Veterans Programs and Services
If you’ve served in the military, several veterans benefits can help you to get started working from home.
- Take advantage of the VA’s employment assistance. Several options include GI Bill benefits, career training programs, and career counseling and assessments.
- Get tips for starting a veteran-owned business.
- Apply for small business grants and loans.
From setting your own schedule to achieving a better work-life balance, there are many great benefits of working from home. However, it’s important to choose the right work-from-home career for you — whether it’s starting a small business or working remotely as a freelancer or employee. These resources will help you to build a remote career and put your plans into action!
Benefits from working remotely
I have been working from home for over 16 years. I started because I wanted the time freedom to attend my daughters after school events and sporting events. I grew to love flexibility.
Here are a few of the things I love about being self-employed.
- Flexibility to get work done at any point in the day – do you work better early morning, before a normal office opens? Are you more of a night owl and love working the evenings? When you are self-employed you get to make the rules and hours of work.
- Freedom to do the extra things that a boss would not allow. Do you have kids with sporadic schedules? Do you enjoy long mid-day breaks to get your favorite things done? You get to set your parameters – as long as you get the work done there will not be a boss telling you when to get it done.
- You are responsible for your client’s satisfaction. Are there things at work that you think are not in the client’s best interest? You can now change them! You get to set the rules for all your business policies. From customer service to setting expectations.
- Have you hit a pay ceiling at work? Are you worth more, but your boss does not see it that way? You get to set your rates.
This is a guest blog post from Kelli Brewer – Kelli is part of DeployCare, which offers support to service members and their families – she shares resources and solutions for issues commonly faced by military families before, during, and after deployment.