Website design is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) field. Women make up 27% of the workers in the STEM field. Women make up 36% of people in the Website Design field. You can see this is a male-dominated industry.
Knowing this, why hire a woman-owned website design company?
A women-owned website design company has many advantages. Women are naturally better at many “soft skills”. Many of these skills make for a better website designer – especially if you are unsure how you want your website to look. Here are just a few skills that women excel at in the website design industry:
- Listening – If you have some idea of what you want your website to look like, listening is a desired skill. According to Forbes, women are significantly better listeners. Females also demonstrated a significantly stronger preference for listening. I have discovered over the years that business owners have a general idea of what they want and like. The ability to listen to their desires and needs, then come up with a website that they love, is one of the most creative parts of designing websites.
- Creativity – According to Women Entrepreneur, 60% of women excel at creative thinking and decision-making when they start their careers. Website design is a very creative field. I would want my website designed by someone that has plenty of creative thinking skills.
- Problem Solving – Women have been great problem solvers since the beginning of time. What women excel at is collaboration. If there is a problem they cannot solve – they have no problem asking for help from others that have already come across the problem. It is kind of like asking for directions when you are lost. How many men do you know that ask their wives to get directions? From my experience, business owners often want complicated features on their websites. To them, it seems simple, but programming is often complicated. I would want a woman, one who is willing to ask others for a solution if needed, to be on my side.
- Intuitive – Women naturally have the ability to be intuitive. How does that help in website design? There have been many clients that could not “put their finger” on just what they wanted. Women can listen to the big picture of the web project, and intuitively know what the business owner is asking. Women often just “get it”.
- Communication – Women are great communicators. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to clarify what a client is asking so that they actually get what they want and need. The ability to communicate with non-tech people is invaluable.
All of these are considered “soft skills”. They are not the technical skills that allow someone to create a website. Anyone can learn the technical skills to create a website, but soft skills are hard to learn. These soft skills are what separates any website designer from an award-winning website designer. People who excel at these soft skills (women) are the ones that will work for you to get you exactly what you are wanting, and stay on budget. They are the people that want you to win!
Dotty started in the website design field because design and layout are something she is great at. She developed her listening skills, communication skills, and problem-solving skills over time. Her intuition and creativity come naturally. Dotty truly wants all business owners to succeed. If you are wanting something on your website that is not realistic for your budget, she will tell you. She is a mix of right-brained and left-brained. She can look at something the business owner presents, and tell them if it will work. If not, she gives ideas of what will work.
Over the past 16 years, she has come across many website problems and has been able to resolve them in the business owners’ favor.
Dotty has your back!
Dotty is an award-winning website designer. In 2021 she was awarded the Main Street Mentor award in Vancouver. She was also awarded the Top 3 Website Designer in Vancouver.
She is also entered into the Business Hall of Fame in Vancouver for winning the Best Website Design and Development for the past 11 years in a row.