There are many reasons for a membership website:
- Steady income
- Online business
- Evergreen content
- Help more people – one to many relationship
- Focused value to your customers
- Your message has more reach and impact
Let’s take a look at each one of these points.
- Steady Income – this is all called recurring income. If you are a service based business you know what happens each month. You start over at zero for sales. It is like being on a gerbil wheel – run as fast as you can and start over each month. Adding a membership site can help to level out your income. It keeps your business from having really short months as far a s income goes. Providing value to your customers on a monthly basis can keep your business afloat during hard times. My business suffered from this wheel of always starting over. Some months I barely survived and other months I thrived. Adding recurring revenue into my mix of offerings has allowed my business to grow as well as level out my income.
- Online Business – Are you someone who got laid off during COVID? Are you now working from home and not from an office? Looking to get a side-hustle going? All of these are reasons for an Online business. Membership websites are a great Online business solution. If you have knowledge that people will pay for (we all do) then it can be put into a membership site. It might look like courses, classes, webinars, written, video – you name it. People will pay for your expertise.
- Evergreen Content – this is content that does not expire. It will be true today as well as 10 years from now. I made a mistake on my first membership website. It was a membership teaching WordPress and Social Media. These things change all the time – sometimes several times each month. Keeping the information current was impossible. It took all my time and was never finished. I do not recommend this path. Whatever you are teaching needs to not change often. Teach concepts and not “how to”.
- Help more people – Membership sites allow you to put your knowledge Online once and many people can use it. I put the effort into creating a course and I can sell that course over and over. The more people that buy it the happier I am! Things that involve groups are the same way. That might look like webinars or live Zoom sessions with a group of people.
- Focused value – membership sites allow you to focus your knowledge on a specific topic. Since they are Online your pool of people are no longer in your specific town or even country! Your value can now be sold anywhere in the world. You can focus on expanding your own knowledge while you share it with others. Membership sites also allow you to go way deeper into a subject than blog articles or podcasts. Your courses can have many levels of knowledge and can grow upon themselves.
- More reach and impact – Since you are not limited to your own circle of family, friends, and acquaintances; your knowledge can go a lot farther. Membership sites allow you to have more than 1 level as well. you can provide some information for free, and the rest is paid – for example. People place a higher value on things they pay for. Your expertise needs to be valued and you will get more reach and impact naturally.